Once again, my mind was completely blown by last week’s Sunday School “Battle Class”. So I feel compelled again to share my notes! In case you missed them, here are two recent posts from previous battle classes on Salvation and Pride. Worth the read when you have time!
This past week’s lesson was taught by one of our Deacons, and not only is he a very intelligent and wise man of God, but he’s also a military veteran. So he certainly knows a thing or two about the battle field.
The lesson was on conquering Temptation. I’ve shared some key highlights below. Be blessed!
- The Greek translation of temptation is to trial or to test, in order to ascertain a persons quality, what he thinks, or how he will behave.
- Why are we tempted? Satan wants our soul. We must realize that there is a battle going on for our souls. He uses temptation to gain ground.
- When you prepare for war you must have a strategy in place if you want to win. Similarly, Satan has a strategy. Satan tracks us, and watches how we react and respond to things, all the while trying to sniff out our weaknesses so that he can attack.
- There are 3 areas of temptation: lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, and the pride of life.
- Temptation isn’t external, its internal. There is a whole army of evil desires within us. It starts with our internal desires, you know, that “thing” you struggle with, and then it materializes into a sin choice (or in other words, a particular action).
“It is what comes from inside that defiles you. For from within, out of a person’s heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lustful desires, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness. All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you.” ~ Mark 7:20-23
- Satan tries to identify your “thing” that he can tempt or trap you with.
- Next he sets in doubt, you start to doubt God’s word.
- This doubt then leads to deception. Satan is the father of lies!
- Then comes disobedience. Temptation gives birth to the sin decision. When left unchecked, temptation leads to a choice.
- It becomes all-consuming and you have no room left to worship God.
- Avoid places, people and things that tempt you.
- We have to pray! Pray to avoid temptation and pray for deliverance in temptation areas.
- You have to be cognizant that you are on the front lines of battle. Satan doesn’t go after those that he already has. He’s coming for God’s people. We must be prepared for battle.
- Realize that it’s not a matter of IF I’m going to be tempted, it’s a matter of WHEN.
- God is our exit strategy! We must wear the full armor daily.
- The shield of faith: believing that God can deliver you.
- The helmet of salvation: the battle starts in the mind, protect your mind.
- The sword of the spirit: the Word of God! These are offensive weapons.
- Always remember, Satan has the potential to win the battle, but the war belongs to The Lord!
- Temptation is an opportunity to draw closer to God. Every trial is a test, and we will be tested for our entire lives. We may get tired, but we can’t exhaust God.
“Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life which the Lord hath promised to those who love Him.” ~ James 1:12